A chapter of the Freedom From Religion Foundation
Freedom From Religion, Albuquerque (FFR-ABQ) is working to keep state and church separate and to educate the public about the views of non-theists. We are gradually "coming out of the closet," speaking truth to power as non-believers providing a balance to religious influences. We call ourselves "non-theists" or "free-thinkers," which means "a person who forms opinions about religion on the basis of reason, independently of tradition, authority, or established belief."
FFRF members in NM have elected four officers. Ron Herman is our Director, Cheryl Gatner Assistant Director, Jerrold Gilbert Secretary, and Jim Travis Treasurer. We are accepting donations to our billboard fund and for our quarterly Meet and Greet events with speakers and refreshments.
We already have some great activist projects. We meet once each month, and meeting topics so far have included the following:
- Obtaining legal support for local violations of C/S
- Billboard funding and placement (see photos)
- Monitoring City and County Commission meetings
- Protesting Metro Detention Center "God Pod"
- Creating various brochures for FFR-ABQ
- Ending religious graphics on the cover of the NM Bar Association newsletter
- Ending creationism instruction in a public school
- Competing with Hobby Lobby Christian Nation ads in the Albuquerque Journal
- Constitution Day celebrations and advertisement, Sept. 17
- Talk on Non-Believer Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans by the author, David Niose
- Darwin Day celebrations and advertising, February 12
- Christianity in New Mexico
- Gay pride and equal rights tabling at PrideFest 2013
- Talk on Born Atheist by the author, Tim Covell
- Review of Catholic hospital "missionary" policies for women's healthcare.
- Renewed efforts to pass the Equal Rights Amendment
We are part of the growing movement against the national god obsession! We might be fallen-away Catholics or former members of other religions, born atheists or agnostics, self-discovered free-thinkers, or doubting New-Agers. We welcome diversity.