Radio from the Secular Point of View
Freethought Radio, from the secular point of view, broadcasts weekly and is hosted by Dan Barker and Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-presidents of the Freedom From Religion Foundation. The show offers programming for nonreligious listeners, as well as countering the religious-right domination of our public airwaves. Freethought Radio features music and interviews with authors and activists. Check out Freethought Radio's illustrious list of guests, including Richard Dawkins, Julia Sweeney, Janeane Garafalo, Ron Reagan, Betty Rollins, Christopher Hitchens, Steven Pinker, Ursula K. Le Guin and so many other fascinating freethinkers, newsmakers and thinkers.
Podcasts are available here. Or listen to Freethought Radio on iTunes. As of February 2017, the podcast of Freethought Radio has been downloaded more than 7 million times.
OTHER BROADCASTING STATIONS
- Bellows Falls, Vt./N.H.: WOOL 91.5 FM, Fridays at midnight.
- Bryn Mawr, Pa.: WZML-LP, Sundays at 9 a.m.
- College Station/Bryan, Texas: KEOS 89.1FM, Tuesdays 6 p.m.
- Columbia, Mo., KOPN: Wednesdays at 1 p.m.
- Eugene, Ore., KEPW 97.3 FM: Sundays at 7 a.m.
- Ithaca & Watkins Glen, N.Y.: W201CD, 88.1 FM, Secular Sunday, 8 a.m., WRFI, 91.9 FM, Sun. 8 a.m.
- Geneva Community Radio: online, Sundays at 10 p.m.
- Janesville Community Radio, Wis.: 103.5 FM WADR, Sundays at 10 a.m., Wednesdays at 7 p.m., and Thursdays at 5 a.m. or online.
- Madison, Wis.: 99.1 WIDE FM, Fridays at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., FUS Radio, WMUU-LP, 102.9, Thursdays 6 a.m. and noon.
- Philadelphia, WOOM-LP, 92.9, Saturdays at noon.
- San Marcos, Texas: KZSM (online), Mondays at 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. and Thursdays at 9 a.m., Friday at 5 p.m. Underwritten by the Hill Country Freethinkers Association.
Listen to podcasts dating from April 2006 (arranged by year) here.
About the Show and Incidental Music
Announcer ("voice deity") is Buzz Kemper, of Audio for the Arts, Madison, Wis., a member of the Foundation. Incidental music is performed on the piano and/or arranged by host Dan Barker. Listen carefully to the "intro" and "outro" music to pick out Dan's arrangements of strains from the ballad "Annie Laurie," from Dan's "Friendly Neighborhood Atheist," "Salt Lake City Blues," Gershwin's "It Ain't Necessarily So," Irving Berlin's "Pack Up Your Sins and Go to the Devil in Hades," Dan's improvised "freethought gospel" music, and the famous 16th century freethought ballad, "Die Gedanken Sind Frei" ("Thoughts Are Free"). Other incidental music was created especially for the show by Dan. You can listen to yourself! Hundreds of freethought members have recorded greetings to air on Freethought Radio at FFRF conventions.
Get Freethought Radio on Your Local Station!
Ask your local radio station to carry Freethought Radio, which is available without cost. Counter the 24/7 domination of our public airwaves by religious proselytizers with some rational radio and blasphemous broadcasting. Phone the Foundation at 608/256-8900 if you have questions.
E-mail the Show
Air America History
Freethought Radio's partnership with Air America, which made the broadcast available to all of its affiliates, ended on Jan. 25, 2010, with the demise of Air America Radio. Freethought Radio enjoyed being part of Air America while it lasted and working with various Air America talents. (See broadcasting stations above.) Podcasts will also continue.
Check this website by Thursdays at 5 p.m. to listen to the new podcast.