A major report (crafted by an unlikely pair) on Christian nationalism’s role in the Jan. 6 Capitol assault will be made public at a virtual event next Wednesday — to which you’re duly invited.
On Feb. 9, 2022 at 12:00 PM Easter Time, the Baptist Joint Committee for Religious Liberty (BJC) and the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) will be releasing the hard-hitting exposé, “Christian Nationalism at the January 6, 2021, Insurrection.” This report will be the most complete accounting to date of how Christian nationalism permeated and intensified the attack on the U.S. Capitol. The Feb. 9 release event — which will start at noon Eastern and last for an hour — will have analysis and commentary from the contributors.
The extensive 100-page document begins with a sociological explanation of Christian nationalism in America and the demographics that underlie this ideology. The report provides a brief history of Christian nationalism in the United States, which is followed by a thorough unmasking of the networks of power and money that prop up the ideology. The bulk of the report exposes the role this ideology played in fomenting the insurrection. The confirmed speakers (many of them contributors to the report) at the release event include:
- Professors Andrew Whitehead and Samuel Perry, researchers and authors of Taking America Back for God: Christian Nationalism in the United States.
- Andrew L. Seidel, constitutional attorney at Freedom From Religion Foundation and author of The Founding Myth: Why Christian Nationalism Is Un-American.
- Katherine Stewart, investigative journalist and author of The Power Worshippers: Inside the Dangerous Rise of Religious Nationalism.
- Dr. Jemar Tisby, historian of race and religion and author of How to Fight Racism and The Color of Compromise: The Truth about the American Church’s Complicity in Racism.
- Amanda Tyler, executive director of BJC and organizer of the Christians Against Christian Nationalism initiative.
- Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-founder and co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation.
During the live event, there will be time for members of the media to ask questions. When you register, be sure to list your media outlet. You will have a chance to submit a question in the Q&A feature during the live event. Members of the media will receive a copy of the report via email that morning if they list their media outlet when they register.