The Freedom From Religion Foundation’s Sunday TV show talks about the intersection of religion, abortion, maternal health and reproductive justice — and especially how it affects Black women.
The “Freethought Matters” guest is an expert on this issue. Tiffany Green is an assistant professor in the Department of Population, Health Sciences and Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She’s been interviewed several times on national news outlets, including MSNBC and the New York Times.
“I remember when I was giving birth back in another state, I had a great doctor and she said, ‘Look, I have admitting privileges at this Catholic hospital, but just know that I cannot give you, say, an IUD if you deliver there,’” Green tells “Freethought Matters” host Annie Laurie Gaylor. “So that was really my first education about how damaging it is having religious institutions be able to impose their ideas about what constitutes reproductive health care — or the right amount of reproductive health care — on the population.”
If you don’t live in the quarter-plus viewership of the nation where the show broadcasts on Sunday, you can already catch the interview on FFRF’s YouTube channel. New shows go up every Thursday.
“Freethought Matters” airs in:
- Chicago, WPWR-CW (Ch. 50), Sundays at 9 a.m.
- Denver, KWGN-CW (Ch. 2), Sundays at 7 a.m.
- Houston, KIAH-CW (Ch. 39), Sundays at 11 a.m.
- Los Angeles, KCOP-MY (Ch. 13), Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
- Madison, Wis., WISC-TV (Ch. 3), Sundays at 11 p.m.
- Minneapolis, WFTC-29, Sundays at 7:30 a.m.
- New York City, WPIX-IND (Ch. 11), Sundays at 10 a.m. (Note: The “Freethought Matters” interview with academic opinion researcher and white Christian nationalism expert Robert P. Jones will be run on the station this Sunday at 4 p.m., since it was cut off prematurely during its airing last month.)
- Phoenix, KASW-CW (Ch. 61, or 6 or 1006 for HD), Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
- Portland, Ore., KRCW-CW (Ch. 32), Sundays at 9 a.m. Comcast channel 703 for High Def, or Channel 3.
- Sacramento, KQCA-MY (Ch. 58), Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
- San Francisco, KICU-IND (Ch. 36), Sunday at 10 a.m.
- Seattle, KONG-IND (Ch. 16 or Ch. 106 on Comcast). Sundays at 8 a.m.
- Washington, D.C., WDCW-CW (Ch. 50 or Ch. 23 or Ch. 3), Sundays at 8 a.m.
Upcoming guests include Michelle Dowd, author of a new book about growing up in a cult, Lizz Winstead, co-creator of “The Daily Show” and an abortion rights advocate, and UC-Davis Law Professor Mary Ziegler, a nationally known abortion rights legal expert. You can catch interviews from past seasons here, including the fall 2022 season with author John Irving, actor John “Q” de Lancie and Washington Post columnist Kate Cohen. Previous interviews include performer Julia Sweeney and Reps. Jared Huffman, Jamie Raskin, Hank Johnson and Eleanor Holmes Norton, among many other notable authors, activists and freethinkers.
Please tune in to “Freethought Matters” . . . because freethought matters.
P.S. Please tune in or record according to the times given above regardless of what is listed in your TV guide (it may be listed simply as “paid programming” or even be misidentified). To set up an automatic weekly recording, try taping manually by time or channel. And spread the word to freethinking friends, family or colleagues about a TV show, finally, that is dedicated to providing programming for freethinkers — your antidote to religion on Sunday morning!