A plain-spoken atheist and talented dancer who is also a member of a famous family is the guest on the Freedom From Religion Foundation’s “Freethought Matters” TV show this Sunday.
Ron Reagan is, of course, the son of Nancy and President Ronald Reagan. He’s had a dancing career, including at the Joffrey Ballet. And he has worked as a broadcast and print journalist and TV and radio commentator. Ron has been a near lifelong atheist and has most graciously endorsed FFRF in a now famous TV ad, which he recorded in an updated version a couple of years ago. “Freethought Matters” is reprising its interview with the always refreshing, candid and quotable star of that ad.
“Ask yourself: If you’re a Christian, are you afraid of burning in a Muslim hell? I bet you’re not a bit,” he explains to “Freethought Matters” co-hosts Dan Barker and Annie Laurie Gaylor why he uttered the famous phrase “not afraid of burning in hell” that he ends his classic FFRF ad with. “And the Muslims aren’t worried about burning in your hell, either. And the Hindus aren’t worrying about burning in your hell, and you're not worried about burning in their multiple hells also. So I just go one hell further.”
If you don’t live in the quarter-plus viewership of the nation where the show broadcasts on Sunday, you can already catch the interview on FFRF’s YouTube channel. New shows go up every Thursday.
“Freethought Matters” airs in:
- Chicago, WPWR-CW (Ch. 50), Sundays at 9 a.m.
- Denver, KWGN-CW (Ch. 2), Sundays at 7 a.m.
- Houston, KIAH-CW (Ch. 39), Sundays at 11 a.m.
- Los Angeles, KCOP-MY (Ch. 13), Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
- Madison, Wis., WISC-TV (Ch. 3), Sundays at 11 p.m.
- Minneapolis, WFTC-29, Sundays at 7:30 a.m.
- New York City, WPIX-IND (Ch. 11), Sundays at 10 a.m.
- Phoenix, KASW-CW (Ch. 61, or 6 or 1006 for HD), Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
- Portland, Ore., KRCW-CW (Ch. 32), Sundays at 9 a.m. Comcast channel 703 for High Def, or Channel 3.
- Sacramento, KQCA-MY (Ch. 58), Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
- San Francisco, KICU-IND (Ch. 36), Sundays at 10 a.m.
- Seattle, KONG-IND (Ch. 16 or Ch. 106 on Comcast). Sundays at 8 a.m.
- Washington, D.C., WDCW-CW (Ch. 50 or Ch. 23 or Ch. 3), Sundays at 8 a.m.
Upcoming guests in the new year include an Iranian “freedom fighter” for women’s rights, 92-year-old skeptical feminist and bestselling author Barbara G. Walker and a brave city council member who protested her board’s prayers and got death threats.
You can catch interviews from past seasons here, including the fall 2022 season with author John Irving, actor John “Q” de Lancie and Washington Post columnist Kate Cohen. Previous interviews include Julia Sweeney and Reps. Jared Huffman, Jamie Raskin, Hank Johnson and Eleanor Holmes Norton, among many other notable authors, activists and freethinkers.
Please tune in to “Freethought Matters” . . . because freethought matters.
P.S. Please tune in or record according to the times given above regardless of what is listed in your TV guide (it may be listed simply as “paid programming” or even be misidentified). To set up an automatic weekly recording, try taping manually by time or channel. And spread the word to freethinking friends, family or colleagues about a TV show, finally, that is dedicated to providing programming for freethinkers — your antidote to religion on Sunday morning!