The Freedom From Religion Foundation’s “Freethought Matters” TV show is starting off 2022 in style with none other than Gloria Steinem as the interview guest.
FFRF Co-President Annie Laurie Gaylor interviewed the most famous feminist in the world at its recent national convention in Boston. The state/church watchdog presented Steinem its Forward Award, reserved for individuals who are moving society forward. No one better deserves that award than Gloria Steinem.
“We were in the back of a taxi in Boston being driven by an older woman, which itself was rare for a taxi driver,” Steinem recounted the story of how one of her most famous quotes came into being. “We were talking about abortion and the struggle with laws. It was the wonderful old Irish woman taxi driver who turned around to us and said, ‘Honey, if men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.’”
Steinem talks candidly having an abortion in the 1950s, her humanist views and rejection of the afterlife, and why, in the face of so many of today’s challenges, she remains a “hope-a-holic.”
If you don’t live in the quarter-plus of the nation where the show broadcasts on Sunday, you can already catch the interview on the “Freethought Matters” playlist on FFRF’s YouTube channel. New shows go up every Thursday. You can also receive notifications when we post new episodes of “Freethought Matters” by subscribing to FFRF’s YouTube channel.
Upcoming guests on the show include U.S. Rep. Don Beyer, who is part of the Congressional Freethought Caucus, and Ellery Schempp, whose high school protest of bible reading and prayer brought about the landmark Abington v. Schempp Supreme Court decision freeing students from such indoctrination.
“Freethought Matters” airs in:
- Chicago, WPWR-CW (Ch. 50), Sundays at 9 a.m.
- Denver, KWGN-CW (Ch. 2), Sundays at 7 a.m.
- Houston, KIAH-CW (Ch. 39), Sundays at 11 a.m.
- Los Angeles, KCOP-MY (Ch. 13), Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
- Madison, Wis., WISC-TV (Ch. 3), Sundays at 11 p.m.
- Minneapolis, KSTC-IND (Ch. 45, Digital Channel 5.5), Sundays at 9:30 a.m. (Digital channel 5.2 has been dropped.)
- New York City, WPIX-IND (Ch. 11), Sundays at 10:00 a.m.
- Phoenix, KASW-CW (Ch. 61, or 6 or 1006 for HD), Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
- Portland, Ore., KRCW-CW (Ch. 32), Sundays at 9 a.m. Comcast channel 703 for High Def, or Channel 3.
- Sacramento, KQCA-MY (Ch. 58), Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
- San Francisco, KICU-IND (Ch. 36), Sundays at 10 a.m.
- Seattle, KONG-IND (Ch. 16 or Ch. 106 on Comcast). Sundays at 8 a.m.
- Washington, D.C., WDCW-CW (Ch. 50 or Ch. 23 or Ch. 3), Sundays at 8 a.m.
Watch earlier shows on the “Freethought Matters” playlist on FFRF’s YouTube Channel.
Please tune in to “Freethought Matters” . . . because freethought matters.
P.S. Please tune in or record according to the times given above regardless of what is listed in your TV guide (it may be listed simply as “paid programming” or even be misidentified). To set up an automatic weekly recording, try taping manually by time or channel. And spread the word to freethinking friends, family or colleagues about a TV show, finally, that is dedicated to providing programming for freethinkers!