The guest on the Freedom From Religion Foundation’s “Freethought Matters” Sunday TV show is a leading constitutional expert with a new book warning about the current Supreme Court’s pro-religion bent.
Andrew Seidel is vice president of strategic communications for Americans United for the Separation of Church and State. Before that, he was a constitutional attorney and strategic response director at FFRF. His first book, The Founding Myth: Why Christian Nationalism Is Un-American, was released in 2019. Seidel’s new work, American Crusade: How the Supreme Court Is Weaponizing Religious Freedom, was published this fall by Union Square & Co.
“The Supreme Court really is destroying the First Amendment,” Seidel tells “Freethought Matters” co-hosts Dan Barker and Annie Laurie Gaylor. “There is a well-funded group of Christian nationalist organizations that are working to alter the meaning of the First Amendment, to change that long-standing protection of religious freedom into a weapon, a tool that conservative Christians can use to impose their religion on other people.”
If you don’t live in the quarter-plus of the nation where the show broadcasts on Sunday, you can watch the interview on FFRF’s YouTube channel. New shows go up every Thursday. You can also receive notifications when we post new episodes of “Freethought Matters” by subscribing to the playlist on FFRF’s YouTube channel.
Upcoming shows will feature abortion provider Amy Hagstrom Miller and 11-year-old Elle Harris, author of Elle the Humanist. This fall season already contains must-see interviews with bestselling award-winning author John Irving, “Star Trek” actor John “Q” de Lancie, acclaimed thinker Professor Daniel Dennett, Texas iconoclast Jim Hightower, leading constitutional abortion rights expert Professor Geoffrey Stone and atheist Washington Post columnist Kate Cohen.
“Freethought Matters” airs in:
- Chicago, WPWR-CW (Ch. 50), Sundays at 9 a.m.
- Denver, KWGN-CW (Ch. 2), Sundays at 7 a.m.
- Houston, KIAH-CW (Ch. 39), Sundays at 11 a.m.
- Los Angeles, KCOP-MY (Ch. 13), Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
- Madison, Wis., WISC-TV (Ch. 3), Sundays at 11 p.m.
- Minneapolis, WFTC-29, Sundays at 7:30 a.m.
- New York City, WPIX-IND (Ch. 11), Sundays at 10 a.m.
- Phoenix, KASW-CW (Ch. 61, or 6 or 1006 for HD), Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
- Portland, Ore., KRCW-CW (Ch. 32), Sundays at 9 a.m. Comcast channel 703 for High Def, or Channel 3.
- Sacramento, KQCA-MY (Ch. 58), Sundays at 8:30 a.m.
- San Francisco, KICU-IND (Ch. 36), Sundays at 10 a.m.
- Seattle, KONG-IND (Ch. 16 or Ch. 106 on Comcast). Sundays at 8 a.m.
- Washington, D.C., WDCW-CW (Ch. 50 or Ch. 23 or Ch. 3), Sundays at 8 a.m.
You can catch interviews from past seasons here, including with Gloria Steinem, Ron Reagan, Julia Sweeney and Reps. Jared Huffman, Jamie Raskin, Hank Johnson and Eleanor Holmes Norton.
Please tune in to “Freethought Matters” . . . because freethought matters.
P.S. Please tune in or record according to the times given above regardless of what is listed in your TV guide (it may be listed simply as “paid programming” or even be misidentified). To set up an automatic weekly recording, try taping manually by time or channel. And spread the word to freethinking friends, family or colleagues about a TV show, finally, that is dedicated to providing programming for freethinkers — your antidote to religion on Sunday morning!