This is the time of year to curl up with a good freethought book. Freethought Today is seeking your nominations for recommendations of works of fiction of special interest to atheists, agnostics and other freethinkers. This might involve a novel with a nonbelieving protagonist or one with freethought themes or a secular point of view.
Freethought Today previously published a guide to “freethought at the flicks.” You can add your nomination updates to this 2002 piece at:
We would now like to invite you to share your favorite freethinking fiction with other FFRF’ers. To ensure that your nomination is published, please include:
• The complete title of the novel or short story, name of author, date of publication (or reissue) and publisher, if possible. (If this is something out of print, hard to find, online, etc., be sure to include adequate information so readers can locate it. Sorry, please do not send or nominate unpublished manuscripts.)
• Include a one- or two-sentence synopsis of the “atheist” import, freethought epiphany or why this deserves to be in Fiction for Freethinkers. Include enough information so that someone picking up the book will know why you’ve nominated it.
(The reference might be as nominal as your favorite private eye’s confession of nonbelief. It might involve the entire plot such as The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. Sinclair Lewis’ Elmer Gantry is obviously a freethought look at religion which may not have an atheist character, but clearly deserves mention in this listing.)
• Optionally, you may want to briefly quote a relevant line or passage, or include a one-paragraph review or summary of freethought plot, character or overall significance. If you can include the edition and page so we can verify quotes, so much the better.
• This guide will be limited to fiction only, so please nominate only novels or short stories, not biographies, etc.
• Your name as the nominator will be included, unless you indicate you prefer anonymity or there are multiple duplicate nominations.
Mail your nomination to Free-
thought Today, Attn: Fiction for Freethinkers, PO Box 750, Madison WI 53701, and include your full name, address and phone number.
• Please send your nomination or nominations in as soon as possible. Remember to be succinct because space is limited. Thank you!