Organized religion always has been and remains the greatest enemy of women's rights. In the Christian-dominated Western world, two bible verses in particular sum up the position of women:
"I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." By this third chapter of Genesis, woman lost her rights, her standing—even her identity, and motherhood became a God-inflicted curse degrading her status in the world.
In the New Testament, the bible decrees:
"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." 1 Tim. 2:11-14
One bible verse alone, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" is responsible for the death of tens of thousands, if not millions, of women. Do women and those who care about them need further evidence of the great harm of Christianity, predicated as it has been on these and similar teachings about women?
Church writer Tertullian said "each of you women is an Eve . . . You are the gate of Hell, you are the temptress of the forbidden tree; you are the first deserter of the divine law."
Martin Luther decreed: "If a woman grows weary and at last dies from childbearing, it matters not. Let her die from bearing, she is there to do it."
Such teachings prompted 19th-century feminist Elizabeth Cady Stanton to write: "The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of woman's emancipation."
The various Christian churches fought tooth and nail against the advancement of women, opposing everything from women's right to speak in public, to the use of anesthesia in childbirth (since the bible says women must suffer in childbirth) and woman's suffrage. Today the most organized and formidable opponent of women's social, economic and sexual rights remains organized religion. Religionists defeated the Equal Rights Amendment. Religious fanatics and bullies are currently engaged in an outright war of terrorism and harassment against women who have abortions and the medical staff which serves them. Those seeking to challenge inequities and advance the status of women today are fighting a massive coalition of fundamentalist Protestant and Catholic churches and religious groups mobilized to fight women's rights, gay rights, and secular government.
Why do women remain second-class citizens? Why is there a religion-fostered war against women's rights? Because the bible is a handbook for the subjugation of women. The bible establishes woman's inferior status, her "uncleanliness," her transgressions, and God-ordained master/servant relationship to man. Biblical women are possessions: fathers own them, sell them into bondage, even sacrifice them. The bible sanctions rape during wartime and in other contexts. Wives are subject to Mosaic-law sanctioned "bedchecks" as brides, and male jealousy fits and no-notice divorce as wives. The most typical biblical labels of women are "harlot" and "whore." They are described as having evil, even satanic powers of allurement. Contempt for women's bodies and reproductive capacity is a bedrock of the bible. The few role models offered are stereotyped, conventional and inadequate, with bible heroines admired for obedience and battle spirit. Jesus scorns his own mother, refusing to bless her, and issues dire warnings about the fate of pregnant and nursing women.
There are more than 200 bible verses that specifically belittle and demean women. Here are just a few:
- Genesis 2:22 Woman created from Adam's rib
- 3:16 Woman cursed: maternity a sin, marriage a bondage
- 19:1–8 Rape virgins instead of male angels
- Exodus 20:17 Insulting Tenth Commandment
- 21:7–11 Unfair rules for female servants, may be sex slaves
- 22:18 "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"
- 38:8 Women may not enter tabernacle they must support
- Leviticus 12:1–14 Women who have sons are unclean 7 days
- 12:4–7 Women who have daughters are unclean 14 days
- 15:19–23 Menstrual periods are unclean
- 19:20–22 If master has sex with engaged woman, she shall be scourged
- Numbers 1:2 Poll of people only includes men
- 5:13–31 Barbaric adulteress test
- 31:16–35 "Virgins" listed as war booty
- Deuteronomy 21:11–14 Rape manual
- 22:5 Abomination for women to wear men's garments, vice-versa
- 22:13–21 Barbaric virgin test
- 22:23–24 Woman raped in city, she & her rapist both stoned to death
- 22:28–29 Woman must marry her rapist
- 24:1 Men can divorce woman for "uncleanness," not vice-versa
- 25:11–12 If woman touches foe's penis, her hand shall be cut off
- Judges 11:30-40 Jephthah's nameless daughter sacrificed
- 19:22–29 Concubine sacrificed to rapist crowd to save man
- I Kings 11:1–4 King Solomon had 700 wives & 300 concubines
- Job 14:1–4 "Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one . . ."
- Proverbs 7:9–27 Evil women seduce men, send them to hell
- 11:22 One of numerous Proverbial putdowns
- Isaiah 3:16–17 God scourges, rapes haughty women
- Ezekiel 16:45 One of numerous obscene denunciations
- Matthew 24:19 "[woe] to them that are with child"
- Luke 2:22 Mary is unclean after birth of Jesus
- I Corinthians 11:3–15 Man is head of woman; only man in God's image
- 14:34–35 Women keep in silence, learn only from husbands
- Ephesians 5:22–33 "Wives, submit . . ."
- Colossians 3:18 More "wives submit"
- I Timothy 2:9 Women adorn selves in shamefacedness
- 2:11–14 Women learn in silence in all subjection; Eve was sinful, Adam blameless
- Why should women—and the men who honor women—respect and support religions which preach women's submission, which make women's subjugation a cornerstone of their theology?
When attempts are made to base laws on the bible, women must beware. The constitutional principle of separation between church and state is the only sure barrier standing between women and the bible.
© 1993 Freedom From Religion Foundation, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be reprinted without the express written permission of the Freedom From Religion Foundation. All nontracts are available for purchase for a small fee at ffrf.org/shop, which allows FFRF to recoup its printing costs.
Jesus has been held in high regard by Christians and non-Christians alike. Regardless of whether he existed in history, or whether he was divine, many have asserted that the New Testament Christ character was the highest example of moral living. Many believe that his teachings, if truly understood and followed, would make this a better world.
Is this true? Does Jesus merit the widespread adoration he has received? Let's look at what he said and did.
What They Said About Religion
Freethought quotes by famous people.
I don't believe in God, because I don't believe in Mother Goose. --Clarence Darrow
Nature made us--nature did it all--not the gods of the religions.--Thomas A. Edison
It is best to read the weather forecast before praying for rain. --Mark Twain
The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of woman's emancipation.--Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel.--Ambrose Bierce
Question with boldness even the existence of God; because if there be one, He must approve the homage of Reason rather than that of blindfolded Fear. --Thomas Jefferson
Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and tortuous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize [hu]mankind. --Thomas Paine
What Is A Freethinker?
Nontracts — the freethought answer to ubiquitous religious tracts. Brief but thorough, easy to read, 3 1/2 x 4 1/4-inch folded brochures address many common myths about freethought or religion. Order individual packs (12 for $4), a Sample Pack or by bulk (100 or more of the same nontract for $16).
free-think-er n. A person who forms opinions about religion on the basis of reason, independently of tradition, authority, or established belief. Freethinkers include atheists, agnostics and rationalists.
No one can be a freethinker who demands conformity to a bible, creed, or messiah. To the freethinker, revelation and faith are invalid, and orthodoxy is no guarantee of truth.
What Does The Bible Say About Abortion?
Absolutely nothing! The word "abortion" does not appear in any translation of the bible!
Out of more than 600 laws of Moses, none comments on abortion. One Mosaic law about miscarriage specifically contradicts the claim that the bible is antiabortion, clearly stating that miscarriage does not involve the death of a human being. If a woman has a miscarriage as the result of a fight, the man who caused it should be fined. If the woman dies, however, the culprit must be killed:
"If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine.
"And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, Eye for eye, tooth for tooth . . ."--Ex. 21:22-25
The bible orders the death penalty for murder of a human being, but not for the expulsion of a fetus.
Ten Common Myths About Atheists
Cookie Cutter Christs
Confused? Bible Contradictions