The Freedom From Religion Foundation is asking you to stand up for Indonesian civil servant Alexander Aan. Aan was recently given a 30-month prison sentence for saying what FFRF'ers and 750 million people today believe: "There is no God." FFRF sent a formal letter of complaint in June to the President of Indonesia and the U.S. Ambassador to Indonesia. Many of you contacted these officials via FFRF's Action Alert, and we appreciate your help and support.
Now there's another push to have the Obama Administration pressure the Indonesian government to free Aan through a White House "We the People" petition. The petition urges the Obama Administration to: "Call upon the Indonesian government to respect the freedom and dignity of all its citizens and to free Alexander Aan." The petition must garner 17,000 signatures by August 16 in order to reach 25,000, ensuring the administration's review.
Please take a moment to sign the petition to protest Indonesia's first imprisonment of a citizen for the "crime" of being an atheist. Follow the instructions below to voice your opposition.
INSTRUCTIONS: SIGNING THE PETITION
(This petition site requires a little patience.)
1. Open your web browser and 'copy' and 'paste' the link into the address bar: http://wh.gov/cmUt.
2. If you don't already have a 'We the People' account at the White House website, follow the steps to create a username and password. (Note: The White House prompt on passwords specifically encourages at least six characters, a few numbers, and upper and lower case letters.)
3. Either choose 'sign in' or 'create an account'
4. Once you're logged in, click the green 'sign the petition' button
5. Click 'promote the peition' and share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.
Thank you for your help!